Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Jimmy’s Annual Evaluation!

I love it when all the therapist get together to gush over Jimmy. It’s like he is their son and his accomplishments are their accomplishments. They all want to take him home and are so proud! His speech therapist says over and over again that she has never worked with a boy with Down Syndrome that is as communicative as Jimmy and they all love how focused he is during their sessions. It’s the best! I just sit there and smile but I might as well be a fly on the wall. I can’t get a word in edgewise when they are fighting for the floor about what they feel are their bragging rights. It’s a tough spot to be in!

We set some goals, the two biggest are to drink from a straw (Why does he hate it sooooooo much?) and to walk. I think walking will be the easier of the two. I can’t believe he has less than a year left in early intervention. Crazy!

Jimmy is doing so great. He accomplished all of his prior goals with the exception of straw drinking. But, at least, he is drinking! That was a big concern 9 months ago. Jimmy is turning into a big boy and is going to be a great big brother!

5 comments:

  1. Jimmy is great. Who needs straws anyway? Jimmy's like, i'd rather learn to pick up a cup, I mean how lazy do you have to be to not be able to pick up a cup, am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY Jimmy!!! That's an awesome update! I'm sure the therapists know all the cool cups and such, but have you tried a Thermos brand FUNtainer? They are in the back-to-school section of Target right now & my kids love them. push button flip top with a straw. Maybe he'd like a shiny, silver big-boy cup.

    http://www.thermos.com/product_catalog.aspx?CatCode=BEVG

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it's a bragging session because he deserves the praise since he's so awesome! And he is amazing with all his words. We're jealous over here. Jimmy's rock star eval trumps the Tuesday induction? Yay Jimmy! Is induction a word associated with babies? Sounds cooler than your "inducement."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear Jimmy is doing so well!

    I'm having the same issue with my bear cub and the straw. It definitely looks like we are going to have her walking before using a straw. I realized that she doesn't suck on anything except a bottle, no thumb or pacifier or even the last of food off a spoon, and I wonder if that makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete