Friday, February 18, 2011

Artsy, Artsy, Artsy!

I have some exciting news to tell you. I MADE MY FIRST QUILT! I bought a pattern from the Fat Quarter Shop. I bought the Funky Windows Quilt pattern by Carlene Westberg Designs. The instructions are for an experienced quilter, which I’m not, so I had to rely on YouTube to figure out how to do the back, sandwich, quilt and bind the quilt.  Isa, Rosie, and I went to Joann fabrics and bought 15 yards of fabric. I told Isa I wanted every color of the rainbow and she quickly picked some out. Then, I cut 320 strips and squares. I sewed 64 little windows and frames, then 16 blocks of 4 window and frames, then 4 rows of 4 blocks and then finally I sewed the four rows together to make the top of the quilt. Then I put the back of the quilt together. I sandwiched the quilt with the batting and back. Quilted the quilt. Trimmed the quilt. And, bound the quilt by hand.

There are so many mistakes it’s not even funny but I still LOVE it. Isa has already put in a request for a quilt for her bed. Maybe. I hope this isn’t my last quilt but I need a long break. It took me nearly two months to make it.

I made a template to help speed up the cutting process.

DSC06718

Here I am sewing one side of the window frame.

DSC06752

Once I finished all 64 little windows. I tried to figure out where I wanted them.

DSC06754

Then I ironed all of them. It took like three hours but it was so worth it. It was a lot easier to line them up and unfortunately to see all my mistakes. Next time I will make sure each part is cut to the exact dimension that it should be.

DSC06860

Once they were all sewn together I had to sandwich the top, middle, and back. This step was the hardest for me. I did a lot of ripping in this stage. I was using books to try and keep the three pieces in place. It took me forever. I think it took a week just to line it up and sew it in place.

DSC06931

Next, I quilted it. I went with the simplest method possible. Straight lines. Here I am measuring and marking where I should sew. I feel so cool owning a yard stick.

DSC07001

I took a week off or so before I went to work binding the quilt. I looked at four different tutorials on you tube. It’s amazing what you can find there. I finally settled on a method and went to work. When I started I thought it would take me two weeks to finish the binding  but I was crazy about it and finished in three days. Yahoo! Then I washed it and the errors decided to display themselves evilly and unavoidably.

2011 feb quilt and puppet stage

Seams came completely undone. I need to fix those, and when I do it won’t look pretty. My machine is acting up though and I want to get thread that matches each fabric so it’s not so noticeable. It might be another week or so before I really finish. But, from a distance of just a few feet, it looks pretty awesome.

DSC07133

oh, and did I mention that Isa and I made a puppet stage? Check it out!

2011 feb quilt and puppet stage1

Isa’s sign reads “This is a great puppet show.”

I know! We are so artsy, artsy, artsy!

1 comment:

  1. The quilt is quite pretty. I don't know if you know what happened with the quilt or if you are looking for advice, but if you want any, let me know.

    I hate binding. My quilting prices are very reasonable for the quality of work, but I over charge for binding to make it worth my time. Most customers choose to bind their own quilts and we're both happy.

    I LOVE the puppet stage. I've been meaning to make one for a long time and have been sort of planning to do it with MDF, but the cardboard one it great.

    ReplyDelete