Sunday, August 21, 2011

Cooking…

The most amazing thing I have learned semi-recently is how to prolong the life of celery. Marc went out to visit his grandma before she passed away and he learned from his grandparents that if you tightly wrap up the celery and put it in the fridge it will stay good for a long time. I can’t even remember when I packed the celery that was in my fridge, maybe a month ago, and it’s still good. I’m snacking on some right now. Can you hear the crunching?

I just made a pot of tomato sauce. It’s a favorite in our household. I got the recipe from the crockpot that Marc bought me for Christmas or for my birthday. I always add in extra vegetables and bone in chicken to make it full of vitamins and protein.  I forgot to tell Marc to buy chicken so I didn’t add that today but it will still be great. I like this kind of cooking because it’s so hard to mess it up. You throw a ton of stuff in a pan, transfer it to the crockpot, and then 4-8 hours later you have a yummy sauce. After it cools I divide the sauce into plastic containers and put it in the freezer. Once or twice a week I take one out to defrost and then serve it. It’s my go to when we get home right before dinner and everyone is hungry. If I am really on top of it, I will have a pot of water waiting to turn on- on top of the stove.

I don’t have a wide range of things that I cook so I have been thinking about changing that. My mother in law bought all of her kids The Overlake School Cookbook. It has so many great recipes in it and my goal is to make every single thing in it. I will start after Rosie’s birthday . There are 139 pages and about one recipe per page.

http://www.amazon.com/Overlake-School-Cookbook-Staff/dp/0962241261

Yes, I am totally copying Julie Powell. I will try and mention my favorites on this blog but this will not turn into a cooking blog or anything like that! I have no hopes of writing my own book and then having that book become a movie. Just letting you know.

I am just a beginner cook that really needs to expand her horizons. Join me in this challenge! It will be fun.

3 comments:

  1. I made hummus from scratch the other day. The gauntlet has been thrown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a cool idea. I know that Julie Powell was not the first person to think of doing it, but only the first to blog about doing it and gaining a following. I didn't read her book or her blog, but I'll be happy to read your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elvis, Xt and I made hummus from scratch years ago. You been served.

    ReplyDelete